Monday 7 November 2011

Pygmy Owl!

I decided to look for owls this morning mainly because there have been many reports of Pygmy Owls in the area and because one was found yesterday evening in my local park. Eurasian Pygmy Owl is a pretty rare bird for Denmark and is undergoing a bit of an invasion now with at least 6 being seen on my island! And considering how much forest there is on the island (a lot) I'm sure there are many many more!

Anyway, while making my way towards the Pygmy Owl this morning I heard two Tawny Owls so I decided to get closer to them to find out exactly where they are so perhaps I can find them another day... if I ever have time!

The Pygmy Owl didn't disappoint. I arrived at the location where it was seen yesterday at 7:10am and there were already 2 others there who said they had just heard it calling and saw it fly. Soon enough we found it but it didn't stick around long enough for me to take a photo... doesn't matter really because it would have been a dreadful photo anyway!

Here's one from Wikipedia:

Off to class now! Waking up early is fun :)