Sunday 9 October 2011

Whales in Denmark

If all is as planned I am in England now and the robots are posting this without my consent...

The other day I visited the Whale bone museum in downtown Copenhagen.

I absolutely had to go because of many reasons... 
The most important of those is because I have a list of 'things to do before I die' (I know...cliché) and #4 on that list is "build a whale skeleton" - not so cliché afterall eh?!

Now, this is not an entirely crazy and unachievable aspiration - in fact I have already completed one quarter of it!

Back in the fall of 2009 I was out on one of many hikes with my good friend Erik when we came across the bones of a whale! That's when my obsession with whales really flared up.

Over the next several weeks Erik and I returned many times to collect the treasures much to the appreciation of my new dog:

Eventually after more than one life-threatening snorkeling trip (including one where we swam in 3 meter swells) we brought home about 25% of the whale:

So, now that you understand where my desire comes from you can now appreciate why I had to visit the whale bone exhibit in Copenhagen.

It was a good opportunity to study and gather ideas for how to prepare my own ;)

It was amazing. And even if you don't have a strong desire to make your own whale skeleton I would definitely recommend the exhibit if you happen to be in the area.






Whales are awesome :)