Monday 30 April 2012

Hindhede

After finishing my last exam I went to Hindhede park for a quickie.
It was nice to finally get some proper exercise and see some birds other than the usuals from my window!

My main target was a Blue-eared Kingfisher that is apparently on breeding territory at the park. I also have a thing for Kingfishers, so it was an easy choice to look for this bird.

It turns out that I wasn't the only one looking for the bird. I row of local photographers had already claimed the best vantage points to photograph the bird... if and when it comes into view.

Not long after I arrived I heard it calling very close by. The bird flew right underneath our feet (almost literally - we were on a raised platform) and hid in some bushes nearby.
A few minutes later it popped out, caught a fish, rested on this log for a mere 5 seconds and quickly disappeared, never to be seen again:


Olive-winged Bulbuls were nearby:
It's a rather common species here in SG, but for some reason they're usually seen in the distance or at the top of a tree.

Anyway, I had hoped to get some decent photos today, but came up empty handed. Both birds were in fairly dark spots so there wasn't enough light to get a 'crisp' image.