Monday 19 March 2012

Hindhede Park

Despite failing - miserably - to see a Black Bittern on too many occasions, I chased a sighting at Hindhede Park in central Singapore. Not surprisingly, I didn't see it, but I did manage to see some other unexpected and more than welcome birds.

The first bird I came across was an adult Little Spiderhunter feeding a juvenile Spiderhunter. They have super long beaks - amazingly the mother had her beak down the throat of her child. It reminded me of those crazy people that swallow swords.

The lookout (where the bittern was seen) had a lot of other great birds around too.

A Stork-billed Kingfisher wasn't too far off, but for ten minutes it didn't once turn its head in the 'right' direction:

The closest it came to showing-off its bill:

A few Straw-headed Bulbuls were flitting around. Despite being a globally threatened species they are rather conspicuous and easy to see in Singapore. I even have one that roosts in a tree next to my window!

Some other birders showed up and helped me see some 'better' birds such as this Grey Nightjar:

And these Brown Hawk Owls:

Don't forget about the quiz below! So far no one has got them all correct!