Sunday, 15 January 2012

Pulau Ubin - part 2

Of course we didn't only see birds on the island yesterday.
Some neat things include these Shield bugs covering several leaves:

Several gliding lizards:

They fan out their skin to form pseudo-wings to glide from branch to branch:
Photo from here

If you look closely you can see a stream of ants walking. I saw several 'trails' like this where the ants would walk (in both directions) but in congested areas as if there was a road! I'm not sure why they do this but it's definitely cool!

Pond - interestingly I haven't seen any ducks, geese or gulls whatsoever in Singapore - they're pretty rare for the most part:

I posted a photo of this species last week but I've since learned more about them. This is the female. It can grow to be over 2 inches long (this one is about 2 inches long) and is big enough to eat a Sunbird (a very small bird barely larger than a Hummingbird):

And this is the male - tiny in comparison to the female:

A decent find by our group was this Cuckoo - the local birders identified it as a Hodgson's Hawk-Cuckoo for now but it's difficult to distinguish from the Malaysian Hawk-Cuckoo:

And as I mentioned I saw the Mangrove Pitta yesterday. At first it was hidden behind a tree but eventually it came right out into the open much to the satisfaction of the paparazzi (can they ever be satisfied?):

Striated/Little Heron:

Drongo Cuckoo:




Check out the paparazzi in Ontario.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious if there's a reason for the lack of waterfowl. Do you know why? Is there maybe not enough small fish or underwater plants to support them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why actually. I'll ask around.
    It could be the polluted waters but my field guide for SE Asia isn't showing much waterfowl anyway.
    Maybe it's too hot for them :p

    ReplyDelete