Friday 13 April 2012

Central Catchment Forest

Last Friday I birded the Central Catchment Nature Reserve (CCNR) with two local birders. I cleaned up on most of the species that are considered common in Singapore (only missing 3 or 4 now) and enjoyed great looks of many species I previously only caught glimpses of.

Along the trail there is a tower (called Jelutong Tower) which provides a good view of the surrounding jungle.

Blue-throated Bee-eaters were always easily seen from the tower, but too distant for a full frame shot:

I was happy to have this Greater Racket-tailed Drongo land nearby. I've been trying to get a photo including the whole bird and the pendants:

Asian Fairy Bluebird has a pretty awesome name, the female doesn't really live up to the standard, but the male is pretty good lookin'!

Pink-necked Green-pigeons are one of the 10 most common species in SG. Despite that, this female is the only decent photo I have of the species: