Monday 29 August 2011

Olsemegle Revle

On Sunday I made the 1.5 hour trip to a sandy spit well known for shorebirds. It took me much longer to get there than anticipated because I was confused with where I was - but next time I will know better so I will be able to spend more time there.

Nevertheless, I managed to find my way and found many many shorebirds (including 12 species of shorebird) - Oystercatchers, Avocets, Eurasian Whimbrels and Little Stint were all new birds for me although I don't think the Eurasian Whimbrel is a new species - but it was still nice to see. This brings my DK shorebird list to 18, very nice!

If I hadn't got lost I wouldn't have found the Sanderling, nor the Avocets so that was good :)

juv. Sanderling and juv. Dunlin:

Once I got to the location where the shorebirds were I was a little overwhelmed with the thousands around me that I now had to identify. The Golden-Plovers stuck together for the most part and slept the whole time I was there:

Imagine that concentration stretching several hundreds of meters!

It was another good day, with a bonus of many many fresh, tasty and free plums! Along one of the trails (where I got lost) I came across several trees laden with plums ready to be eaten - in fact many had already fallen to the ground and began rotting away.
I helped my self to a bag full so now I don't need to buy fruit for another week or two!

Here's a photo of an apple tree:

And the beach:

Due to some errors with scheduling by one of my professors I now have Monday and Friday off!!! So I have 4 day weekends; however, Tuesday and Wednesday are quite busy. Anyway, that opens up a lot of possibilities for traveling so we'll see where it takes me.

I've already seen 11 of my 23 DK 'target' birds!

By the end of the day I had 82 species in Denmark and 56 lifers in just one week! If only every week could be like that!

Sundays lifers in order:
Eurasian Oystercatcher
Common Shelduck
Pied Avocet
Common Sandpiper
Little Tern
Little Stint

new sub-species:
Whimbrel
Red Knot