Saturday 29 September 2012

In Search of Gulls

I've been regularly checking out a somewhat new gull roosting site that is an 8 minute bike ride from where I live. Finally, yesterday there were a few thousand gulls.

You can see most of the flock here:

This Lesser Black-backed Gull was easy to pick out from the crowd:

Gulls were continuously flying in from nearby Laurel Creek and other locations.

Once in a while I turned around to notice a nice sunset:

Eventually all the birds flew up and dispersed.
Around 7pm every day there are thousands of gulls that fly in a somewhat Easterly direction over the city - I haven't figured out where they are going... Presumably they're going to an overnight roosting site.

A few days ago I re-found the Horned Grebe at Laurel Creek. It was slyly hiding within a small flock of Ruddy Ducks: