Wednesday 1 March 2017

Starry Sky Over a Foregone Home

L'Anse-aux-Meadows
The only known settlement of Vikings in North America

As a birder I tend to have unusual priorities. And one of the priorities to this 4-week rotation here was to see the Northern Lights. So, with last nights forecast for clear skies and cold air I found myself, at midnight, gazing over the Strait of Belle Isle with a sense of longing for Labrador.

In the foreground stood the remains of several buildings from the long abandoned Norse settlement and high above was a sky of crowded infinities. Dividing these two unfamiliar worlds was a green hue buoyantly wandering over the big land: Labrador.








In other news, I will be in Newfoundland for at least another three years!
Birding time (as I always seem to surmise) will be drastically cut - but I can't think of any better place to work while dreaming of the birds outside the hospital walls!