Wednesday, 1 March 2017

Starry Sky Over a Foregone Home

L'Anse-aux-Meadows
The only known settlement of Vikings in North America

As a birder I tend to have unusual priorities. And one of the priorities to this 4-week rotation here was to see the Northern Lights. So, with last nights forecast for clear skies and cold air I found myself, at midnight, gazing over the Strait of Belle Isle with a sense of longing for Labrador.

In the foreground stood the remains of several buildings from the long abandoned Norse settlement and high above was a sky of crowded infinities. Dividing these two unfamiliar worlds was a green hue buoyantly wandering over the big land: Labrador.








In other news, I will be in Newfoundland for at least another three years!
Birding time (as I always seem to surmise) will be drastically cut - but I can't think of any better place to work while dreaming of the birds outside the hospital walls!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning I watched it like this in Norway and Saskatchewan . Hoping to see them when I go to Alaska this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these beautiful images. I saw the Aurora twice - once at Bonne Bay Pond as a child in the sixties and once in Grand Falls-Windsor in the eighties. Unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant!https://www.youtube.com/c/AGNnewsChannel

    ReplyDelete