Monday 26 October 2015

Long Point - Newfoundland

Take a look at this map of the Port-au-port Peninsula on Newfoundlands West coast:

That point that stretches on forever is 22km long. If that doesn't interest you, you can stop reading now and never come back to this site.

A wider view gives a better idea of where this point is.

It's nice that it's sort of in the middle of the St. Lawrence, but too bad that it points inland and isn't as isolated as I'd like it to be. Nonetheless, it's still a place I dream about.... often.


I finally visited the place this month - twice now and have had average results. Nothing rare... yet, but decent seawatches and a fair number of passerines.

Not surprisingly, the sunrises can be spectacular with mountains to the East and open ocean to the West.





Not as many shorebirds at the tip as I had hoped. Unfortunately the tip is very rocky and not composed of sand so doesn't attract many birds. There's always a flock of gulls but nothing interesting with them that I've noticed.

As expected, Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, and Lapland Longspurs are regularly seen in the grass at the point:

Common Eiders have all been of the dresseri sub-species. It will be interesting to see if there are any borealis eiders by the time I leave in December. Oh yeah, I'll be here for 8 weeks! Maybe more about that in another post.


I would recommend clicking this photo to see the full panorama:

More to come over the next 7 weeks :)