Friday 31 May 2013

The Next Few Months

After graduating from my undergrad degree at the University of Waterloo I spent the majority of May birding throughout Ontario. The next 3 months will also be full of birds before I head back to school for another degree in Newfoundland (more on that in a future post!) I am now on my way to the Northwest Territories where I will be doing shorebird related work for 6 weeks!

The exact location is at the Kendall Island Bird Sanctuary:

Satellite view from the area:

For the 6 weeks I'll be joining 4 others to do nest searches, shorebird banding, among plenty of other tasks.

Some cool species that breed there are: 3 Jaeger species, Pacific & Red-throated Loons, King Eiders, Long-billed Dowitcher, Stilt Sandpiper, several other shorebird species, Snowy Owls, & Smith's Longspurs! Hopefully I'll have plenty of photos to share of all these species when I am back.

I'll be there until mid-July, so don't expect anymore blog posts. Although, Mira may feel inclined to make a post or two. After the NWT I'll be in Alberta/BC for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of shorebird surveys on the James Bay coast - bringing me to mid/late August...