Monday 22 October 2012

The Thief's Glove

Totally not birding related, but the other day someone tried to steal my bike and managed to achieve 50% of their goal.

After getting a new bike in May, and riding it almost daily in the pursuit of birds I became somewhat attached to it - the fact that the bike is pretty nice also plays a role in that attachment as well.

Anyway, I don't only use the bike for birding, I ride it to school almost everyday and knew very well that I was running the risk of having it stolen. Bike thievery is rampant on campus, so I took the proactive step of locking my bike up with two locks. But not just two locks - two different types of locks. A U-lock, and a cable lock. The thing is that both types of locks are actually pretty easy to break - but you need different tools to break each one. Most thieves only have one tool with them.

That resulted in an annoyed thief after he (or she) cut my cable lock only to realize that I had a U-lock that was impenetrable to their presumed cable-cutters.

Interestingly, I found a single glove below my bike. I will be on the lookout for a person with a single black glove (with red on the inside), who suspiciously eyes bikes :p

Anyway, school is eating up all my time and I'm starting to have withdrawal effects from not birding in so long! :S


I did check Laurel Creek this past weekend, and am quite pleased that 'they' are finally starting to drain it! A bit late for shorebirds, but I can still hope :)

Beautiful, beautiful mud:

I'm becoming more and more interested in mushrooms lately, although I haven't tried to identify this one yet: