Wednesday 28 December 2011

Around Town

I haven't been posting much because of a lack of time not because of a lack of birds.

I joined forces with Dave Brown and Richard Thomas for the St. John's CBC. We got the Red-bellied Woodpecker and re-found a Pine Warbler that was MIA for a while. A couple Baltimore Orioles were nice to see as well.

The most unexpected bird came the next day when I was looking to tick off some Eurasian Wigeons. The wigeons were not to be seen but a fleeting glimpse of a rail-like bird came as a shock. I didn't really know what to do considering I only had about 5 minutes before I had to get going.
I got the word out and others confirmed it as a Sora.

I returned today with Mira (my girlfriend) and local birder Brendan Kelly to see the bird walk right out in front of us:

This morning began early at Cape Spear to see the sunrise:

Two duck hunters were just off the point which didn't help us find seaducks. But at least 5 Dovekies were just off the point giving great looks:

A flock of 76 Purple Sandpipers was  a welcome sighting:

A local birder has a beautiful Cape May warbler visiting their feeder: