Monday 18 July 2011

Seabirds

I'm back in Ontario for my last 4 weeks - I haven't got any concrete plans for what I'll be doing but I have high hopes, as usual!

For now I'll share some of my favourite sightings from this past weekend in Newfoundland:

Saturday:
In the thick fog I managed to pick out 2 Manx Shearwaters and 1 Pomarine Jaeger chasing a Kittiwake.

Sunday (a more exciting day):

1 Sooty Shearwater very close in briefly checking out a small feeding frenzy involving several Gannets, Kittiwakes and Alcids - and then it disappeared.

Whales - several Humpbacks feeding within 100 meters - occasionally they would stick their heads right out of the water gulping full of food. Awesome.
+ what I'm pretty sure was a Fin Whale based on the spout size and shape - it was pretty distant though so I couldn't get a good look at the whale itself - would have been good though because it's the second longest whale (behind Blue Whale)!

My first dolphins! 4 White-sided Dolphins... actually I think Orcas might be considered dolphins so the WSDO will have been my second dolphin species. Either way, they were awesome to see - right next to shore as well.

Capelin rolling - not many of them but I haven't been in NL at the right time to see them in over 5 years!

And probably the oddest sighting was an Osprey flying around the city more than an hour after sunset - I think it was looking for a place to roost for the night.

Didn't see many butterflies - just the common stuff (Cabbage White, E. Tiger Swallowtail..etc)

Pictures to come...